The Stratford Campus was built on Stratford Green and opened in October 1898. Originally known as The Municipal Technical Institute, it was described by John Passmore Edwards (benefactor, member of parliament and philanthropist) as the ‘People’s University’.
The Institute offered a progressive approach to education, with a public library and taught classes for both sexes, with priority given to students who lived and worked within the Borough. The ethos of the institute was to provide accessible education for citizens from a variety of backgrounds.
The Institute continued to develop and grow over the decades. It became known as the West Ham College of Technology, then the Northeast London Polytechnic, and was renamed the University of East London in 1992. Throughout these changes it has maintained its founding ethos as a progressive and accessible institution.
We believe this is still relevant today as we have proudly provided education, work opportunities and global research impact contributions to our local community for the last 125 years.